About The DDA
The Wixom Downtown development Authority exists to provide a friendly-welcoming downtown which will enhance and honor while promoting cultural, business, and recreational opportunities that attract businesses & residents.
The Wixom Downtown Development Authority (DDA) was established in 1983 to enhance the quality of life for the City of Wixom residents through revitalization of the downtown area. The DDA utilizes the Main Street Four-Points Approach, a guiding set of principles for downtown management as set by the National Main Street Center. The Four-Point Approach includes Design, Organization, Promotion, and Economic Vitality. The DDA has standing committees assigned to execute these tasks of each of the four points. Downtown Wixom is a member of Main Street Oakland County, the first county-wide Main Street program in the country.
The DDA Board of Directors includes business owners, property owners, residents and liaison members from the City Council. The DDA staff consists of an Executive Director. The DDA is funded through Tax-Increment Financing. This means taxes paid within the downtown district are re-invested in the district annually.
- Vanessa Willett, DDA Chairperson – Resident
- Kristin Rzeznik, DDA Vice Chairperson – Drafting Table Brewing Company and resident
- Kailee Fine, Resident
- Amanda Habbouche, Express Professional Employment
- Russell Meredith, Resident
- Carissa Serylo, SprayChic Airbrush Tanning
- Melanie Klebba-Cheney, Michigan Community Insurance Agency
- Wes Umlor, Diffin-Umlor & Associates
- Mayor Patrick Beagle, Mayor
Purpose: To gather and interpret market information while developing an economic development strategy for Downtown Wixom.
- Developed a COVID-19 Financial Relief Loan Program for Downtown Wixom businesses.
- Conducted survey of all downtown businesses on what financial help is needed during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Assisted business owners with guidance regarding the various financial assistance programs.
- Partnered with Main Street Oakland County and Patronicity to create a crowdfunding campaign to award grants to downtown businesses.
- Sat on the panel for the Oakland County Stabilization Fund Grants.
- Chaired the District 6 panel (Wixom, Novi, Novi Twp., South Lyon, Lyon Twp., Northville) that awarded grant monies to businesses in these communities.
- Visited downtown businesses on a regular basis during COVID-19 crisis.
- Focus on the three R’s – Retention, Recruitment, and Redevelopment
- Downtown Wixom’s health is dependent on upon the Retention of current businesses. We plan to work with them to determine needs and assist where we can.
- Continue to analyze what new businesses would be most beneficial to our downtown then, develop plans to Recruit them.
Purpose: To ensure Downtown Wixom continues to improve at being an aesthetically and functionally desirable destination for people and businesses.
- Developed Downtown Dazzle program – Holiday Lights in Downtown Wixom – Developed guidelines of program.
- Trails to Downtown program supports beautification projects in Downtown Wixom
- Bikes throughout Downtown – set up sponsorship program of bikes, use as a tool to promote the Michigan Air Line Trail
- Develop landscape standards
- Purchase of bikes racks to be installed throughout Downtown Wixom
- Complete the alleyway between Klebba building and Wixom Bar
- Add lights to trees in downtown – year round
- Design and install wayfinding sign for downtown
Purpose: To build consensus and cooperation among the many groups and individuals who have a vital role in the revitalization process.
- Maintain Downtown Wixom Facebook page
- Created standardized communication practices to downtown businesses during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Created and distributed a COVID-19 Financial Assistance Program flowchart to provide our businesses with coordination of the Economic Vitality committee. Outlining the various financial assistance programs from the different levels (Federal, State, County and Local) government entities
Short Term Goals:
- Develop and implement a volunteer recruitment and management program.
- Host a volunteer recognition event
- Create and distribute a newsletter w/ advertising
- Develop a strategic plan to expand sponsorship solicitation
- Streamline communication across all committees
- Expand presence on social media
Purpose: To tell the story of what is emerging and thriving in Downtown Wixom, as well as celebrate the history and success of our community through marketing, promotion and brand engagement.
- Created and implemented the “Experience Here” branding campaign.
- Developed and launch a new Downtown Wixom website and Facebook page
- Continue to expand the reach of Downtown Wixom’s story and community brand.
- Celebrate the unique experience of downtown through partnership with Main Street.
- Develop marketing campaign for DDA events and initiatives.
- Continue to create content for website
Donco Marketing – Website and social media page creations, along with marketing and branding campaigns.
Trivium Racing – Race management services.
Zorro Lights – Installation and storage of holiday lights.Michigan Landscape Design - Lamp post flower basket maintenance